Manufacturers used by KIS to create solutions in this Practice Area:
- Dell EqualLogic
- Dell Compellent
- LeftHand Networks
- iSCSI performance is becoming as good as, some claim even better than, the more expensive Fibre Channel SAN by using Gb Ethernet (soon 10Gb) for the IP (iSCSI transports data blocks inside IP packets) transport and advanced RAID & Cache mechanisms to provide very high speed throughput & low latency
- iSCSI SANs are usually less expensive than their Fibre Channel (FC) cousins since there’s no need to purchase expensive FC Switches, FC Host Bus Adapters (FC HBAs) for the servers, or use more expensive fiber optic cabling since iSCSI SANs use standard Ethernet cabling or GBit Ethernet connectivity & standard ethernet switches & routers to provide the connectivity
- With iSCSI SANs there is no need to invest in an additional fiber optic infrastructure, FC switches, training on FC technology, operations & maintenance, etc.
- By implementing iSCSI SANs you can leverage both the TCP/IP network infrastructure and the knowledge & experience your network staff already has installing, operating, & maintaining Ethernet & TCP/IP networks
- Most of the advanced capabilities of FC SANs, such as fault tolerance and load balancing, are either already available or becoming available soon using iSCSI SANs.